Monday 14 April 2014

Flatbreads

It  occurred to me that this flatbread recipe isn't a million miles away from the woodsman style dampers/ bannocks etc that can be easily made around a fire. I've made the follwing ones under laboratory conditions (a kitchen) but I think they warrarnt further outdoor investigation.


The basic dough mix is equal measures of natural yogurt and self raising flour, I've mixed 150g of each for this dough, initailly with a spoon and then by hand to leave a mixture which is workable but slightly wet. I divided the dough thusly: one smaller 'bannock sized' piece and the rest into three equal pieces.


The first one is the basic mixture with a little Seasonall mixed in. I gave each one a quick knead, rolled them to about 2-3mm and cooked the three larger ones for about 2 or 3 minutes each side. They start out quite benign and then bubble up just like a naan.


The next one was with some chopped Jack-By-The-Hedge which was OK but would have benefited with either more Jack-By-The-Hedge or some ramsons in. Still acceptable mind you and there are, of course, many other greens that could be considered.


Next up was a sweet one which was a sort of cross between a peshwari naan and my favourite bannock mix! I substituted the Seasonall for brown sugar and also added some cinnamon and sultanas. A couple of the sultanas caught slightly which is a possible disadvantage of squeezing a plump fruit into a flat bread but the mixture of ingredients worked...well as I said it works for me in bannocks.



As I said earlier I was cooking these flat breads in a kitchen so the smaller 'bannock sized' piece of dough I'd reserved was to see how a basic flat bread turned out being moulded into shape by hand like you would around a camp fire.  It was a little thicker but still came out ok so I'd suggest further outdoor investigation. how good would this be with a sachet of this?


  

The dough is quite springy but I squished into shape fairly well and used the back of my closed fingers to shape it a little more in the frying pan. You could use a cast iron pan or a lot of the Woodlife Trails chaps use a small non-stick frying pan-meant for gas ring useage but they seem bomb proof on embers too (at least the ones they use...try yours at your own risk) so these are definitely doable. 





No comments:

Post a Comment